At the moment, the commercial real estate market is experiencing serious difficulties due to the fact that there is a large outflow of tenants among foreign companies that leave the Russian market due to the geopolitical situation in the world and Russian companies that leave due to changes in business processes and business pricing policy . Leased space is being turned into vacant buildings that continue to operate at full capacity and consume large amounts of energy for heating, lighting and air conditioning.
The owners of the premises bear losses and the question arises of the need to reduce the operating costs for the energy consumption of buildings.
Energy Efficiency – Reduce Energy Costs
Measures to optimize energy consumption could be considered in two directions:
- Analytical efficiency – reducing energy costs without compromising the normal functioning of the building;
- Economic aspect of the purchase of new energy efficient systems:
– capital costs – the feasibility and payback period for the purchase of new energy-saving equipment and technologies;
– operating costs – fixed costs for the operation of new equipment and technologies acquired to reduce energy consumption.
To reduce the cost of maintaining premises, owners can take the following measures:
- Group the premises into functional blocks, compactly place the remaining tenants in order to disconnect unused parts of the building from energy consumption systems.
- Conduct an analysis of the process equipment, heating, air conditioning and lighting systems of the building for a possible reduction in energy consumption.
- Conduct an audit of energy consumption based on actual data with the BMS (Building Management Systems) of the building automation system or by direct measurement of indicators from the heat carrier, energy carrier and electrical panels.
- Search for various anomalies that occur with energy consumption when there is an inappropriate overspending.
For example: incorrect functioning of the ventilation system can lead to a significant increase in energy consumption. It is necessary to check the correct setting of the ventilation machines by examining and re-accepting the engineering systems of the building by independent specialists in order to bring them to the optimal mode of operation. Check equipment seasonal settings, operating modes (seasons, time of day, presence sensors, CO2, etc.). Replace the filter elements in accordance with the regulations to facilitate the operation of the system, clean the heat exchangers from contaminants that disrupt the operation. Regular maintenance measures for ventilation equipment increase the duration of its operation and minimize the risks of unexpected costs.
- Optimization of building envelopes. The use of special athermal (energy-saving) films on windows to prevent heat loss or vice versa overheating of the premises.
- Investigation of the quality of thermal resistance in places of cold bridges to prevent excessive heat loss.
- Analysis of the performance of existing thermal insulation under the influence of climatic conditions, and in case of its shortage or wear, the addition of a new one.
- Carrying out a thermal imaging survey of the building to calculate the places of heat leakage at the joints of floors, in the corners and at the junction of window frames to the wall.
Comparison of the payback period, acquisition and application of renewable or alternative energy sources with systems already existing at the facility.
For example: comparing wind and diesel generators, taking into account the costs of their purchase and further expenses (maintenance of the generator or purchase of fuel) to understand when the applied solutions will pay for themselves and begin to bring real savings.
- Thermal insulation of various pipelines, analysis of pipes for leaks and their troubleshooting.
- The use of energy-saving and cost-effective sanitary ware of high energy efficiency class with low water consumption. The level of its effectiveness and the payback period can be measured on the basis of the documentation attached to the product with calculations made by the manufacturer.
Business center Amalthea
Reducing cost of construction and operation of buildings
Development of an Integrated Energy Supply and Energy Efficiency Strategy
Mathematical Modeling – Energy Consumption of Buildings